Breastfeeding and Pumping as an Medical Intern Working 80 hours a week! I am DETERMINED!

   I started my intern year of residency and am at the bottom once again. I will work 80 hour weeks and constantly feel stupid. I will don a stylish long white coat and answer to the name doctor. My daughter turns 4 months old this week. I have been exclusively breastfeeding her up to this point and REALLY want to be able to until she feels ready to wean... somewhere between 6 to 12 months. Our journey with breastfeeding has not been easy. Despite sore nipples, trouble latching, and a case of mastitis, we have persevered. Why should I stop now? How will I manage to keep breastfeeding her and take care of patients?

Supplies for successful pumping while at work:
1. Pump!
2. Cooler with ice packs or fridge
3. Towels or moist toilettes
4. Breast pads: If you're pumping in the first few months of life and your supply is still figuring itself out and you leak. They're also good for placing in your bra so that extra drips of milk don't get on your bra.
5. Water Bottle and/or Mother's Milk Tea
6. One-handed snacks (Granola bars/pieces of fruit)
5. Big bag to store all your supplies in (I use an insulated grocery bag)


Here is my plan:
    In order to keep my milk supply up and supply my daughter with breast milk, I must pump every 3-4 hours. Thus, if I am working a 12 hour day, I would pump 3-4 times at work. I produce about 3-4 ounces total each time I pump. I must be upfront with my colleagues and tell them I am breastfeeding.
While away from my daughter, I figure she will need about 12 ounces. Some people figure an ounce for every hour they are away. You can also calculate how many feeds your child will take in and multiple by 3-5 ounces.

This will be my schedule on ward months:
6 am: wake up and feed daughter or pump before work
9-10 am: PUMP at work
12-1pm: PUMP during lunch
3-4 pm: PUMP while writing notes

While doing outpatient work and having clinic in the AM:
7:45 am: Pump before work
11:45 am: Pump during lunch
2 pm: Pump
4 pm: Pump while writing notes

If I feel I haven't pumped enough during the day, I will pump again at night before my daughter's longest stretch of sleep. At first, I did not feel that I was pumping enough milk while away from my daughter. I would only get 2-3 ounces per pumping session. I now pump around 3-4 ounces per pumping session. I realized I must get in enough fluids and eat in order to produce enough milk. The extra fluid I have taken in has helped me to produce more milk.

I think it is doable to continue breastfeeding and pump while away from my daughter for now. In some jobs and medical fields (i.e. surgery), it might be hard to pump as you might be in surgery for 8 hours and not be able to pump. Breastfeeding and pumping should be enjoyable for both the baby and mother. In the beginning, I found pumping to be less satisfying than breastfeeding as I was away from my daughter. In the end, the benefit of giving my daughter great nutrition while saving money has triumphed. I will continue for now, unless it becomes too difficult.

Comments